Lighting design plays a very important part of a rooms look and for that reason I thought I would go through some of the key things to consider when selecting your lighting. I am by no means a lighting technician so this post doesn’t cover the technical elements of lighting and the angles of it, in relation to user’s specific needs but hopefully you will gain some basic understanding of what to look out for and then team up with a lighting technician for the finer points.
I always like to add some warmth to my home during the cold months of winter, yes I turn the heater on but I also add some decorator pieces that make me and those that use my home feel warm and cosy. Here are some tips if you want to do the same:
1. Add a floor rug – Even if you have carpet a nice rug under foot helps keep those toes toasty and warm.
2. Change your scatter cushions – Get rid of cool coloured cushions such as white, blues etc… and bring in red’s, oranges, black, browns in textured linens and wool (get rid of soft silks etc…) and use lots of them, this will make your room nice and cosy as well as inviting.
3. Candles – Buy a whole bunch in different sizes, group them all together and pop them on your coffee table, you will feel warm in no time.
4. Throw rug – Get that beautiful wool throw rug or afghan that you have hidden away in your linen cupboard and drape it over your lounge and use it! Or go a step further and pull out 2 or 3 more and store them in a basket by your lounge.
5. Signs of life – Pot plants are a brilliant addition to living areas.
6. Get some curtains – not only will they add some personality to your room (there are some stunning fabrics out there, call us if you would like a quote) but if you buy thermal lined they will act as an insulator to keep the cold out of your rooms and the warmth in (and reverse in the warmer months) saving you $$ on your electricity bills.
7. Re style your surfaces – Again store those beach decorator items away and pop some family photos, vases with winter berries, wooden or brass art pieces to create a new look for your coffee table, bookshelves, console tables.
8. Change your light globes – if you currently have cool lighting now is the time to change it to warm lighting, this will make the world of difference and use that dimmer switch to create a relaxing vibe at night. Invest in some lamps and use these as your light source at night.
9. Layer – Just like we put layer upon layer to stay warm, do the same in your rooms over winter. Don’t just put one cushion on your lounge go for 3 or 5. Same with your windows if you have blinds, add curtains. If you usually use 3 candles use 10. This all helps create an inviting space.
10. Make your fireplace the focus – Rearrange the hearth and mantlepiece by introducing candles, books, pine cones, family boardgames. Add some floor pillows nearby.
If you have any tips you can add, please comment below we’d love to hear from you.
Have a great day!